Like all vegans I LOVE hummus. About three months ago, I realised that my addiction had gotten out of control. I was buying 3-4 tubs of hummus per week, it was expensive but what was more concerning was the amount of plastic waste my addiction was producing. I realised it was time to get thrifty and learn how to make it myself. So I did some research, found and customised some recipes, experimented and now I make up a kilo of delicious zesty hummus every week and to be honest guys, sometimes even that is not enough!
This zesty hummus recipe is light, fluffy and refreshingly tangy. It produces less waste than buying it, takes only half an hour and tastes better than anything you could buy at the store.
Zesty Hummus Recipe
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1tbsp garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tblsp cold water
- juice of a lemon and a lime with a bit of pulp
- a few sprigs of parsley and a few basil leafs
- Drain your chickpeas and boil with the baking powder sprinkled in.
- In your food processer (or bullet blender), combine tahini and garlic, blend for at least two minutes to whip some air into the tahini, let the flavours mellow for 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, lime juice and pulp, olive oil, salt and cumin to the tahini mix and blend.
- Watch your chickpeas impatiently, and once the skins starts to shed they are ready – this usually takes about 20 minutes.
- Once the chickpeas are ready, drain them and then run cold water over them, add them to the mix and blend for 5 minutes.
- Add your sprigs of parsley and basil leaves to the mix and blend some more.
- Do a taste test at this point – does it need more garlic? Salt? Cumin or lemon juice? This is your hummus, so add to it until it’s perfect for you!
- Add your 2 tbsp of cold water and blend again for about 2-3 minutes, this makes the hummus fluffier.
Now you have a delicous zesty hummus you can serve with crackers, flat bread, toasty bread or falafels. It lasts about a week in the fridge, if you can keep your paws off it that long!